Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Transition to Vegetarianism

After much consideration, I am officially a vegetarian as of tomorrow, December 1st. Why tomorrow and why the first? Just because it's the start of the month and there's something cleansing about it. I've been thinking about turning to a vegetarian diet for quite some time; heck, most of the food I eat is vegetarian. The more and more I learn about health benefits and animal treatment, the more I am convinced that this is a good thing for me. In honor of my this monumentous occasion, I ate my (hopefully) last cheeseburger for dinner. Ew. Can't say I'll miss it much. At all. And they forgot my onions on top of it. Insanity!!! That's it, no onions, I won't eat cheeseburgers again! Okay, my little fake rant is done for now. After my swearing off cheeseburgers, I dropped by the bookstore to buy a new vegetarian cookbook. I got the 1,001 Low-Fat Vegetarian Recipes (ed Spitler and Yoakam). I went through it and wow, I tagged a lot of recipes. Can't wait to start cooking!! So stay tuned and I'll be sure update you of all random food cravings!

P.S. If you have any good tips or awesome foods I should try, let me know!

5 comments:

  1. Lauren....good luck!! my hubby and i tried to cut out meat last year but have lapsed since he's joined the gym and insisting on more and more meat protein... i found it such a fantastic challenge, i really had to think about what i was going to buy and eat and tried really hard to only have pasta and rice once a week (each!)... can't wait to see your journey! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your transition into vegetarianism! Personally, I LOVE vegetables. I don't know if I could go without meat, but I enjoy eating healthy meals and am also conscious of what goes into what I'm eating. Good luck and looking forward to following your vegetarian dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How is your transition going? Are you cutting out all red meat, chicken, and fish but still eating dairy and eggs?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first few days of officially not eating meat have gone well! I haven't had to make any major changes so far. I did go to a friend's office holiday party last night and the only vegetarian things were cheese and crackers (and the cheese wasn't even that good). Was a little hungry when I got home. Mindy, I'm still eating dairy and eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you! I've considered it especially after noticing most of my meals do consist of vegetables and not meat, but I don't think my husband would enjoy it very much if he couldn't have a cheesesteak. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete