Monday, November 29, 2010

Butternut Squash and Parsnip Soup


Jet lag has continued to kick my behind, so this morning I was up bright and not so bushy tailed at 4:15am. Since I was extremely awake, I went into work early. As soon as I walked out the door, I wished I was back in my very warm apartment. It was ridiculously cold! It had to be 10 below. Okay, so my Phoenix blood is convinced that it was 10 below, but it was in the 30s. Still an evil temperature no matter which way you slice it. I definitely need some comfort food!! Thankfully, I have some wonderful fall veggies.

1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and chopped
3 parsnips, peeled, and chopped
Salt and pepper
1/4 cup chopped onion (or green onions)
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup applesauce (no additives)
1/4 cup fat free milk
2-3 cups vegetable stock
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon cumin

Roast the butternut squash and parsnips in the oven until lightly golden and soft. Meanwhile, in a large soup pot, melt the butter in the olive oil. Add the onions, salt and pepper (about 1 teaspoon each) and saute under low heat for about 15 minutes.

Add the roasted veggies to the pot and saute for another 5 minutes. Add the applesauce. Then in batches, remove the mixture and puree in a blender or food processor. Return the pureed mixture to the pot. Add the paprika, cumin, and milk and mix well. Add the stock to the pot as well, careful not to add too much or the soup will be very thin. Cook (stirring frequently) for about 15 minutes further, adding in stock as needed.

Season with salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into bowls and garnish with additional paprika.

1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous soup. Great for the holidays! Love the addition of the natural sweetness of the apple sauce.

    ReplyDelete