Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Pasta with Wild Mushrooms

When my father visited last weekend, he brought me a bunch of cookbooks, mainly for baking, but there was one for pasta. I love pasta. I mean, it is quite possible the most versatile food out there. Amazing! (For those of you who have read my first posts will remember that I purposely condensed all my cookbooks recently to I didn't have tons of cookbooks stashed everywhere. Yeah, now I have six more. Darn.) I was flipping through it and found a yummy looking recipe for linguine with wild mushrooms. I ended up using spaghetti since that's all I had on hand. Here is an adaption of that recipe. (Of course I had to change it up a bit! I mean really, who has heard of a pasta recipe with only one clove of garlic??? Unnatural.)

Linguine (or spaghetti, angel hair...)
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 tablespoon butter
Assortment of mushrooms (I used about 12 ounces of button, portabello, and shitake), sliced
1 cup sour cream
Salt and Pepper

In a large pot boil water for the pasta. Heat a large skillet under low- to medium-heat. Add butter, garlic and onion. Saute until just soft. (Do not brown or overcook.)

Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook until al dente.

Add the mushrooms and allow to cook for ten minutes, stirring occasionally. I add a splash of water (very little) to help the mushrooms release their juices. Mix in the sour cream and incorporate well. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Add the pasta to the skillet and toss well. Heat for another couple of minutes, then serve.

2 comments:

  1. now thats such a tasty combination! I have never tried mushrooms with sour cream, but I can just imagine the explosion of flavors!!
    Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I added in some fresh basil and tomatoes at the end (didn't want the basil to turn bitter by cooking), and it seemed to really compliment the sauce. Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete