Sunday, March 25, 2012

Doughnuts!

I have been tasked with making doughnuts for a work meeting. I did a test run today and am so glad that I was able to "quality control" them. ie Eat several. I found this recipe by Fabio Viviani. They were surprisingly simple to make and not as intimidating as I anticipated. These doughnuts are Italian-style, so no holes... and they're made with potatoes. I was expecting them to be heavy due to the potatoes, but they were simply fluffy.


2 medium Russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
1 cup plus 1/4 cup milk, warmed (I used skim milk)
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 cup lard (I substituted unsalted butter at room temp)
3/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
4 1/2 cup bread flour
1 teaspoon salt
Extra light olive oil for frying (I substituted vegetable oil)
Powdered sugar for dusting
1 tablespoon melted unsalted butter

Boil the potatoes and cool prior to mashing.

In a standing mixer with the hook attachment, mix the milk, eggs, sugar, and yeast on low for two minutes, allowing the yeast to activate.

Add the mashed potatoes and lard. Mix for one minute, then add the flour one cup at a time. Then add the salt and mix until dough is soft.

Turn dough on a floured surface and knead for a couple of minutes. Add flour as necessary to ensure the dough is soft, but not sticky.

Using a biscuit cutter, cut out rounds and place about two inches apart on a greased baking sheet. Cover and allow to rise for about 30 minutes.

Heat the oil in a large sauce pan until 340 degrees (use a thermometer!). Cook dough in batches, flipping constantly to ensure even color.

Remove from oil when lightly browned and place on paper towels to dry. Brush with the melted butter and sprinkle with powdered sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment