Sunday, January 1, 2012

Healthy Banana Muffins

If you're anything like me you probably LOVE bananas. Raw bananas, in crepes, baked, caramelized, chocolate banana shakes...it's all fantastic. But, as million others during the new year, I have been trying to eat more healthfully. At least I can say I started this quest about a month ago when I was able to start exercising again. (Silly cracked rib cartilage)  Problem is most of my recipes I know with bananas aren't exactly the most healthy. This is my attempt to "healthify"--I'm like a president making up my own words--banana muffins.



2 slightly overripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup applesauce, no sugar or other ingredients added
4 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
3 tablespoons ground flax seed

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a cupcake tin with liners.

In a medium bowl, mash the bananas. Add the applesauce, egg whites, and vanilla.  Add the spices, baking soda, and powder.

Then add the wheat flour and flax seed. Mix until just combined. Fill the liners 3/4 full. Bake for about 20-25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment