Monday, December 5, 2011

Tiramisù

I have promised one of my classes that I would make Tiramisù for them.  Since I had been sick with the evil cold turned laryngitis for the last two weeks, I've been putting it off.  This weekend, I was finally feeling better.  I made a huge platter of it and was very tempted to sample it, but my will power won out...until tonight's class when I will engorge myself try a little.

1 1/2 boxes of lady fingers
3/4 cup brewed strong coffee, cooled
1 ounce grated semi-sweet chocolate
8 ounces marscapone
4 egg whites
1 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
2 egg yolks
cocoa powder for dusting

In a large bowl, mix the sugar and yolks together until fluffy.  In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks are formed.

Fold in the marscapone to the yolk mixture.  In batches, fold in the egg whites.  (Fold in, do not mix!)

Briefly dip the lady fingers into the coffee and place in a single layer in a baking dish (close together).  Sprinkle the chocolate over top and then spread half the egg mixture over top.  Put another layer of lady fingers (dipped in coffee) on top.  Spread the other half of the egg mixture on top.  Dust with the cocoa powder.  Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving.  May be made a day ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment