Thursday, October 13, 2011

Pear and Fig Open-Faced Pie

The effort to only use foods bought from my local farmers market is continuing!  Officially the EcoChallenge is ending this Saturday.  I have found that there are some challenges that go along with buying only local and organic.  Mainly the convenience issue.  This point was driven home when I used my lunch hour to go to the farmers market, only to discover the market had been cancelled that day (not on the website or anything!  Still slightly annoyed by that).  I had to rush to find another market and leave work a little early in order to fit everything in before guests came over that night.  While it would've been much easier to stop off at the grocery store, I took comfort in knowing that not only was I staying true to my commitment, but I was serving my friends the freshest possible ingredients. 

I bought milk (first time I've bought milk from the farmers market) and pears that day.  I had honey still from earlier in the season (also a market purchase).  I imagine that apples and other fruits could be substitutes for the pears.  It's not overly sweet; however, the raw sugar dusted on the crust helped a bit!


Crust
12 dried figs (stems cut off), quartered
2 large Asian pears, peeled, and cut into 1" cubes
1/4 cup raw sugar (plus extra for dusting)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon milk

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a a large baking dish with aluminum foil.  Spray with cooking spray.  Roll out the crust.  Beauty about this pie is that it doesn't have to be a perfect circle. 

In a large bowl, combine the figs, pears, both sugars, cinnamon, salt, and honey. Spoon the mixture into the center of the crust.  Fold the edges of the pie around the pear mound.  Pinch the edges together slightly to prevent them from unfolding during cooking.  Then brush the edges of the crust with milk.  Sprinkle with the raw sugar.  Bake for about 45 minutes.  Cover the crust with foil halfway through if it starts to brown too much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment