Saturday, October 1, 2011

EcoChallenge 2011


Welcome to EcoChallenge 2011!




Today is Day One of the EcoChallenge.  The EcoChallenge is put on by the Northwest Earth Institute and asks people to pledge to change one unenvironmentally friendly habit they have for two weeks.  This could be simply to turn off lights when they leave the room, eat more local foods, take shorter showers, etc.  The hope of course, is that people keep these friendlier habits after the challenge is over.  Since I love food, my challenge completely food related.  Here's what I have committed:

Purchase ALL my food from the local farmers market...no running to the grocery store to supplement.

Purchase ONLY organic/ecoganic foods from the farmers market.

No eating out at all (not even grabbing a bagel for breakfast). Cooking all my meals and snacks at home, where I control the ingredients and production.

I eat fish once a week (no meat otherwise), so I will only chose fish that has been sustainably raised...again from the farmers market only.


To start the two weeks off right, I went to the farmers market and stocked up on lots of veggies...all organic and ecoganic.  So, the next two weeks will be a food challenge!  I will be using what I bought at the market and combine with staples I have at home already (whole grains, etc). 




 Here's what I'll be working with:

Butternut squash
Eggplant
Sweet potatoes
Delicata squash
Sweet Italian red peppers
Green bell peppers
Purple bell peppers
Onions
Cilantro
Tomatoes
Kale
Eggs
Mixed Greens

No comments:

Post a Comment