Friday, June 17, 2011

Zucchini Bread


With the overabundance of zucchini this time of year, I needed to do something with what I had in my fridge before it all went bad. There's only so much zucchini a girl can eat. I found lots of zucchini bread recipes over the years and this year was no exception. I made some modifications however, in order to be more healthful. I substituted applesauce for oil, and whole wheat flour and flax seed (and gluten to prevent it from being too dense) for regular flour. Didn't make me feel so bad when I put and entire cup of sugar in there.

1 1/2 eggs
1/2 applesauce
1 cup raw sugar
1 cup grated zucchini
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup ground flax seed
2 tablespoons gluten
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt


Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and grease two loaf pans.

In a large bowl, beat the eggs with an electric mixter until light and fluffy. Mix in the applesauce and sugar. Stir in the zucchini and vanille.

In a separate bowl, sift the flour, cinnamon, baking soda and powder, and salt together. Add to zucchini mixture.

Bake for about 50 minutes.

Topping (optional):
Combine 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup whole wheat flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and 3 tablespoons melted butter together. Sprinkle over the zucchini bread before baking.

2 comments:

  1. yum! my mom used to make a chocolate version when we were kids...now that i am "adult" i think i would be happy with a plain version...get the real zuc taste :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought to put chocolate in them! I must try it.

    ReplyDelete