Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Scalloped Potatoes and Mushrooms

Ever have those weeks where everything collides and happens all at once? Yeah, that'd be my most recent couple of weeks. I'm desperately trying to get on top of things and get back in the yoga studio (and move away from the edge of insanity). For last night's dinner (sorry no picture...too hungry and gobbled away), I wanted to do something a little different. I had a bunch of mushrooms that normally I'd make into mushroom ravioli or into a white wine sauce. Considering how long it has been since my last posting here, I needed to go with something different. Scalloped potatoes with mushrooms was the product. This version uses fat free milk instead of whipping cream like most scalloped potato recipes (save myself a little since I've been a stranger at the studio).

2 bakers potatoes, sliced thinly
5 ounces mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 cup fat free milk
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 garlic clove minced
2 tablespoons onion, minced
1/4 cup flour

Combine the milk, thyme, pepper, garlic, onion, and flour in a small pot over low to medium heat. Constantly whisk together until the sauce thickens. Set aside.

Meanwhile, in a glass baking dish, put two layers of potatoes on the bottom. Then with the mushrooms, tossed in flour, shake off excess, form another layer. Then cover with the rest of the potatoes.

Pour the milk mixture over top and bake at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes (until the top is slightly golden and bubbling).

2 comments:

  1. yum, would never have thought about using fat free milk...hmmmmm!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The added flour helps to thicken it up, even without whipping cream or whole fat milk!

    ReplyDelete