Sunday, October 17, 2010

Busy Cooking

Whenever I have a day off (once a week), I end up cooking a bunch. It's the only way I can ensure that I will have lunches throughout the week and not spend a fortune eating out. Today was such a day. I made the potatoes and green beans (below) and also an eggplant and tomato spread of sorts. That shall be the official name for it. Eggplant and Tomato Spread of Sorts. Sounds good to me!
I was a bit apprehensive since growing up I was never a fan of eggplant. Because of that, I haven't really had eggplant as an adult. Knowing that taste change (and I should really stop being such a wimp), I bought a couple at the farmers market this morning. A friend of mine gave me another eggplant recipe, which I will be trying out in the next few days. It got me thinking about eggplants and I should really give it another go. (Again with not being a wimp.) Here is the result!

1 medium eggplant, chopped into cubes
2 tomatoes, chopped into cubes
1 medium onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
Extra virgin olive oil (about 2 tablespoons or so)
Salt
Parsley
Oregano

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the chopped onions. After it cooks for about 2 minutes, add in the garlic (don't let the onion brown). Once that has cooked for another couple of minutes, add in the tomatoes and eggplant. Simmer and let cook for about five minutes. Stir. To encourage the juices to release, I added in about 1/2 cup of water, brought back to a simmer. The sauce will start to thicken as the water evaporates. Continue to cook for 15 more minutes, stirring occassionally. Add spices and season to taste. Serve with toasted bread (I used the organic flax bread from Whole Foods).

No comments:

Post a Comment