Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Vanilla Extract

I stumbled across a recipe today that I felt I had to make. Vanilla extract. For those of you who have coughed up $8 for a little bottle of pure vanilla extract, this will interest you. This takes only a few minutes to do, but takes two months to marinate. And for anyone who hasn't been inside a mall or Target, two months is smack dab in the middle of the holidays...baking season! I am even thinking of buying little jars and giving this as a holiday gifts to my culinary-swayed friends.

1 glass jar, cleaned
3 medium vanilla beans
1 cup liquor (rum or vodka)

Slice the beans lengthwise to expose the beans. Put the beans in the jar and add the liquor. Shake well and place in a cool, dark, and dry place. Shake about once a week for 8 weeks. Use after the 8th week.

No comments:

Post a Comment