Monday, September 20, 2010

Farro


My father surprised me with a care package full of all sorts of goodies. Freshly dried herbs from his garden and a package of farro. Farro is a delicious hulled wheat. It's a grain that has been eaten in Italy for centuries. It's not exactly cheap (about $12 for a pound), but it's so delicious. It can be eaten either hot or cold. So, I was so excited to try it out.



Farro with Herbs


2 cups of water

1 cup of farro

2 teaspoons of salt

1/2 to 3/4 cup tomatoes, seeded and chopped (use more or less depending on your taste)

1/4 cup onion

1/4 chopped fresh chives

1/4 parsley (I used the dried parsley that my dad just sent me)

1-2 garlic cloves, minced

2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

Ground black pepper

1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil


Boil the water in a medium pot. Add the salt and the farro. Boil for about 20-25 minutes. When done, drain any excess water and add the farro to a medium-sized bowl. Add the tomatoes, onion, chives, and parsley. Toss. Then in a small bowl, combine the garlic, balsamic vinegar, pepper, and oil. Add to the farro mixture and toss well. Serve hot or cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment