Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Oatmeal Cookies


I originally made these cookies as part of a fundraiser for March of Dimes at work. This time, I'm making them for one of my classes. Once a semester, I like to have a class party. Helps with morale, especially with the last few weeks. Plus they can't hate me too much as I give them exams when I make them cookies!


1 stick butter at room temperature
1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
2 1/2 cups oatmeal

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line cookie sheets with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, combine the butter, shortening, and sugar until fluffy. Add the egg and beat well. Then add the buttermilk.

In a medium bowl, add the flour, baking soda, and spices together. Add to the butter mixture in batches, beating after each addition. The on a slow speed, beat in the oatmeal until just combined.

Drop about one heaping teaspoons of dough two inches apart. Bake for 11-13 minutes until just before the edges begin to brown. Leave on the cookie tray for about 2-3 minutes after removing from the oven before cooling the rest of the way on cooling racks.

No comments:

Post a Comment