Sunday, October 14, 2012

Beef Brisket


Last night, I had a mini housewarming with my friends Vicki and Carmen (and Carmen's little one Camille!). We started out with Spicy Grilled Shrimp Toastadas and then followed up with beef brisket sandwiches. I'm proud to say that even 19 month old Camille liked the brisket. I think it had something to do with the chili powder; that girl can eat spice! Anyway, when I left DC, my coworkers chipped in and got me my dream...a Le Creuset Cast Iron French Oven like the one here. Sigh, so pretty (and I was able to cross something off my 30 Before 30 list!). This was my first time using it. Thank you Vic and Carmen for being my excuse to use it. I had bought some beef brisket from an organic rancher out in Tucson about a month ago and I'm not exactly sure what possessed me to do that. I have never cooked brisket before and quite frankly, never like it. I've only had one brisket that I liked and that was made by another friend, Genie to celebrate her husband's birthday. So, thank you Genie for your awesome recipe below!


3.5-4 lbs beef brisket
1 1/2 cups beef stock
Water

Dry Rub:

2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons salt
2 garlic gloves, minced -or- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons onion, minced -or- 1 tablespoon online powder
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons dry mustard
2 bay leaves, crushed

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Combine the dry rub ingredients in a small bowl. Season the brisket on both sides with the rub. Place the brisket in a large cast iron dutch oven, or roasting pan. Bake uncovered for one hour.

Add the beef stock and enough water to yield about 1/2 - 1 inch of liquid in the roasting pan. Lower oven to 300 degrees. Cover the pan and continue to cook for about three hours (I let mine go to 3.5 hours). Trim the brisket and slice to serve. Top with juice from the pan. Serve as is or place on toasted rolls.

1 comment:

  1. This recipe does look appetizing. This one will definitely make my "cooking list".

    ReplyDelete