Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Pineapple Upside Down Cake


A co-worker's birthday was last week and she had a request for a pineapple upside down cake. Her mom had makes one for her each year; however, this year my friend moved to DC, leaving her mom and pineapple cake behind in California. I made one for her and for a first time ever making it, I think it turned out well. I say "think" because I have a slight reaction when I eat pineapple...burning of the mouth and tongue....swelling of the airway....very distressing stuff considering how wonderfully amazing pineapple is. Mmmm pineapple. Normally I have to load up on the anti-histamines before I can indulge on a few precious pieces. Sigh.


2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 8-ounce can sliced pineapple
1 1/3 cup flour
2/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
2/3 cup milk
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla


Melt the two tablespoons butter in a round cake pan. Sprinkle the brown sugar on top. Then add the sliced pineapple in a single layer to pan. Set aside.

In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, and baking powder. Add milk, the 1/4 cup butter, egg, and vanilla. Mix well.

Carefully pour the batter over the pineapple slices without displacing any of the pineapple.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean when tested in the middle. Cool for about 10 minutes, then invert the cake onto a plate so pineapple slices are now the top.

1 comment:

  1. For some reason, Pineapple Upside Down Cake always reminds me of the Peace Corps. I used to make it all the time using the recipe from the "Where There is no Whopper" cookbook. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete