Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Chocolate and Coconut Pie

When I become particularly stressed and/or emotional, I tend to cook.  A lot.  So on Sunday I spent most of the day baking and cooking (the farro with butternut was one result).  Another such result was a chocolate and coconut pie, which my coworkers benefited from yesterday.  I was a little hesitant to let them know that the main ingredient was tofu, but people were pleasantly surprised (and yes, I was holding my breath as the took their first bites).  This recipe may easily be made vegan (I didn't have vegan chocolate on hand and I used my standard pie crust recipe, so it wasn't so vegan this time around.)  And I have to admit up front that the picture I'm using below is not my picture.  I forgot to take a picture until it was mostly eaten at work.  And it was on my cell phone.  It didn't turn out well at all.  So, I'm going for the pretty picture as opposed to the brown mess from yesterday.  Thank you google images!


Pie Crust

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
3/4 teaspoon table salt
6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, dice
1/4 cup shortening
7 to 8 tablespoons ice water

In a large bowl, mix together flour, salt, and sugar. Mixing with your hands, add butter and incorporate into flour mixture about 2 minutes. Add shortening and incorporate until the dough clumps together when squeezed, about 1 minute. Add the water. Dough is moist enough when it is moistened through but is not wet when pressed. Try not to overwork the dough or it may become tough.

Gather into a ball and turn dough onto a piece of plastic wrap. Press it into a flat disk and wrap with the plastic wrap. Place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.  Roll out the pie crust and place in a pie dish.  Bake for about 8 minutes. Remove and completely cool.

Filling

12 ounces silken firm tofu, excess water removed
1 bag melted semi-sweet chocolate
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup maple syrup (honey would work here too)
1/2 cup coconut

In a medium bowl, break apart the tofu with a fork.  Add the melted chocolate. Using and electric mixture, beat well until mostly smooth.  Add the vanilla extra, maple syrup, and coconut and mix well.  Spoon the mixture into the cooled pie crust.  It will be thick.  It holds its shape well, so feel free to have a large mound.  Cool in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours before serving.  Add cool whip or whipped cream with fresh berries.

1 comment:

  1. It was delicious!! Thank you! And your pie was way prettier than the google image...hence why there was nothing left to photograph. I feel like the tofu made it even more filling, and you don’t feel as guilty about eating such a tasty bit of goodness! I’ll have to impress my vegan friends with this one :) ~Chelsea

    ReplyDelete